Thursday, September 20, 2012

Vintage Metal Typewriter table makeover

I snagged this old typewriter table from my Mama's basement in August.  I can't resist old rusty metal.  My Mom was like "you really want that?!"  I knew with a little love it would be right at home in my orphaned furniture house.  

Here's a little before 
(I actually wanted to keep it like this but was worried about the lead and rust with my girlies)



Who knows what this writing is....Mom, Uncle Bill....anyone? ;)



Step 1: Remove all hardware and clean with a water vinegar solution.  I didn't paint the screws or casters to keep the piece authentic looking.



Step 2: Lay all the pieces out and spray one coat of Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer on all sides.

{sorry for the horrible picture, I sprayed it in the sun so it would dry faster}

Step 3: Do multiple light coats of the spray paint of your choice.  I used Valspar Indigo and I LOVE it.  The after allotted dry time put it all back together!



I topped mine off with a green house from Ikea and some old books.  These little tables are awesome and versatile.  If you see one, snatch it up!  You won't be disappointed.  

Much Love,
Jenny

1 comment:

  1. Because of this post, I got the idea to disassemble my rusty, bird-poop covered typing table before painting it! It was kind of fun! I took pictures before I took it apart and am glad I did, so assembly was simple. I used a Hammered Metal Rustoleum spray paint and am delighted with how my typing table looks now! Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete